Wednesday 23 May 2012

Buying a new bed

A couple weeks ago we decided we needed a new bed, the mattress was about 6 years old, maybe more?  Surely a mattress should last longer than that, they all have at least 10 year warranties don't they?  Ours was kind of sagging everywhere except the middle, and my spouse has been complaining of a sore back for a while now, so let's go shopping for a mattress.............

I know from previous experience, it is hard to choose a mattress you like, and even harder when 2 of you have to like it.  The short time you spend lying on a mattress in the store does not always indicate how it is going to feel when you get that bed in your home.  But the stores all seem to have a long test period so you can exchange the bed if it doesn't work for you.


  • Sleep country, gives you 2 months to try your mattress
  • The Brick, gives you 6 months to try your mattress
We started shopping at the Brick (not cause of that above mentioned 6 months, we learned that later) They had a big sale on Sealy Beds, all 50% off.  So we met a nice informative salesperson, he had us trying out all kinds of beds, told us to pick 2 we liked best and lie on each for 10 minutes.  

There are so many types of mattresses, and different foam, gel foam, coils, individually wrapped coils, .......can't we just have a simple mattress?  The short answer was no, all this new stuff has been proven to provide better back support.  (proven by who I wonder....)

We did end up spending a lot of time in the store, we tried,
  • Temperpedic beds, which were quite weird, very hard at first until you sink into your body shape, and then really hard to roll out of that hole.  Apparently people who have these beds, love them (after they get used to them) and they last 20 years.  $3000.00 (Now I am thinking about when I was helping my parents move, My sister and I dropped my parents mattress on the floor, and this cloud of dust rose up, eww.....later I asked my Mom how old that bed was....."probably 30 years" she said....eewww, the bed did go to the dump by the way)  So do I want a bed to get 20 years old....Not really
  • 3 types of Sealy crown jewel mattress, in varying thicknesses, the biggest had to be 18- 20" thick (so you would need custom made bedding.....no thanks)
  • A really comfy Trump bed, but it was $3000.00 and apparently never goes on sale....too pricey

We finally settled on a Sealy Crown Jewel Wellington Square, $1649.00 + tax, and we negotiated free delivery.  It was firm and plush, but not the firmest or the plushest (that one was the really thick one, too soft for me and I needed a ladder to get on it.......really stupid if you ask me) The one we picked was 4" thicker than our old mattress, and that is more than I wanted.

So we had our bed delivered a week ago, 
  • it is not at all plush or the least bit soft anywhere,
  • it has a weird smell, like stinky foam?  I don't like the smell but maybe it's a new mattress thing, and it will go away in a few days.......nope still stinks!  
  • in 7 days it feels a tiny bit softer, but not at all like the one we tried in the show room.  
  • my back aches every morning, and I do not look forward to going to bed at night.  
  • our bed is now so high, we will have to raise up our head board, and the duvet cover is too small, 
  • the sheets just fit, so there.... I found one positive!

So back to The Brick we go, we lied on the showroom model again, it really was much softer and more comfortable than the one we have at home.  
  • We double checked the model with the salesman, yes we have the right one.  
  • He advises us that we need to give it more time, it will soften up with time, the one in the show room is 6 weeks old.  
  • He will have a Sealy representative contact us about the weird smell, he says that no one else has complained about that.
  • He convinced us to give the mattress another week, (even though I don't want to) and promised "they would make everything right"  told us several stories of other customers who were very happy after they gave their mattress more time.

I don't remember having to get used to a new mattress like this ever before, I am again wondering who proved all this new foam, gel foam, wrapped coil stuff is better than what we used to have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.