Saturday 26 May 2012

Aquastar Salmon travels more than I do

We love Salmon, and Spring salmon is one of our favorites because it is so moist and delicious!  I bought some at Thrifty's a couple weeks ago, for $3.99 per 100g.  Very expensive, 2 decent sized fillets cost $32.00.  But it was really good, for dinner and in my sandwich the next day.

In the Safeway flyer this week they advertised pink salmon for $8.00 so I took a look while I was there.

It was in the frozen section with the prawns, I wish I had taken a photo of the package.  The brand name was Aquastar, the label stated wild pink salmon, but looking at the back of the package, (like I promised I would after the warnings of food from china)

  • Harvested in Alaska
  • Product of China
  • packaged in Ontario
I didn't buy it, because I don't understand how it could be dead, then have travelled from Alaska to China  to Ontario, and now to Safeway in BC?  Why did it need to go to China?  With the cost of transportation, how could the price be so cheap?

(oops I am adding this note of correction, because pink salmon does not compare to spring salmon in taste or texture, it should be cheaper than spring, but I still question why it went to china)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.